WNYC put out a fascinating study showing the top dog names in New York City based on NYC dog license registrations. Is your dog named Max, Bella, Princess, Lola, Rocky, Lucky or Buddy? Well they are not alone. These are the most common names for licensed dogs in New York City. It gets even more interesting by neighborhood.
- Upper East Side seems to love Lola and Lucy.
- Upper West Side loves Lucy and Charlie.
- Harlem likes Max.
- Chelsea also likes Max.
- West Village likes Charlie.
- Williamsburg likes Max and Milo.
- Wall Street likes Coco.
- Madison Square Park and the Flatiron like Lulu
- Astoria likes Princess, Lucy, Bella, Lucky and Charlie.
They also looked at breeds in New York City, and Mutts, Yorkies, Shih Tzus, Chihuahuas, and Labs dominate.
You can pan around the city and see favorite dog names by zip code below in this interactive map created by WNYC.
And here you can find the top male and female dog names citywide: