Dog runs in Manhattan between 14th-59th Street
De Witt Clinton Park Dog Runs (2 dog runs): Dog run is located in the park on the southwest corner near West 52nd Street & 11th avenue. You may need to enter at 5nd Street and 11th Avenue.
- Neighborhood: Midtown West, Hell’s Kitchen
- Ground: Cement
- Park Website: www.nycgovparks.org/parks/DeWittClintonPark/facilities/dogruns
- Yelp Review: www.yelp.com/biz/dewitt-clinton-park-new-york
- Notes: Notes: This is a huge dog run with benches and trees and shade. There are two sections, one for small dogs. Water is available in the dog run in warmer months. http://www.dogrun.org was set up as the official home of the DeWitt Clinton Dog Run. Closes at 11pm.
Peter Detmold Park Dog Run: Located west of FDR Drive, between East 49th street & East 51st streets
- Neighborhood: Midtown East
- Ground: Cement and dirt
- Park Website: www.nycgovparks.org/parks/M108N/facilities/dogruns
- Yelp Review: www.yelp.com/biz/peter-detmold-park-new-york
- Notes: This is a very nice dog run, and fairly large as well. It’s right by the water on the east side.
Hudson River Park (North Chelsea) Dog Run: Located at Pier 84 near West 44th Street. This is a smaller run but right on the water and right next to the USS Intrepid. What other dog run can say that?
- Neighborhood: Midtown West
- Ground: Hard surface with drainage
- Park Website: http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/explore/dogrunpier84.html
- Yelp Review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/pier-84-new-york
- Tips: Yes, that is the USS Intrepid next to the dog run. There is an indoor/outdoor restaurant and bar called P.D. O’Hurleys right outside of the dog run where you can grab some food and drink. Running water is provided in warmer months. It’s way west, but once you are over there you can walk up and down the Westside Hudson River Parkway, which goes from battery Park City up to at least 59th Street. You can even hit multiple dog runs along the way including this one, the Chelsea Waterside Park and the Leroy Street Dog Run.
Robert Moses Park Dog Run: Located between 41st & 42nd streets at 1st Avenue
- Neighborhood: Midtown East, Murray Hill
- Ground: Pavement
- Park Website: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/M158/facilities/dogruns
- Yelp Review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/robert-moses-park-dog-run-manhattan
- Notes: This dog run is long but narrow and has benches for people sit on and a few trees. It is not a big run, but there are not many in this part of Manhattan.
Chelsea Waterside Park: Located near West 23rd Street and the Hudson River/West Side Highway
- Neighborhood: Chelsea
- Ground: Hard Surface
- Park Website: http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/explore/playgroundscw.html
- Yelp Review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/chelsea-waterside-park-new-york
- Notes: This dog run has rocks and cement ‘hill’ formations that the dogs seem to like to jump on and run through.
Madison Square Park Dog Run: Located in Madison Square Park near 5th Avenue and 24th street. Also known as Jemmy’s Dog Run. This is a nice dog run on the west side of Madison Square Park that is fairly large in size and has two sections. Note that dogs are not allowed on the grass lawns (even on leash) in Madison Square Park, just in the dog run.
- Neighborhood: Flatiron, Gramercy, Madison Square Park
- Ground: Gravel and dirt
- Park Website: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/madisonsquarepark/facilities/dogruns
- Yelp Review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/madison-square-park-new-york
- Tips: The run can get muddy though so it is not a great spot to go after heavy rains. They supply waste bags in the dog run and there are benches with umbrellas. The backdrop of the architecturally stunning Flatiron Building and the Met Life Clock Tower add to the atmosphere and of course there is the Shake Shack right there in Madison Square Park where you can pick up some lunch for yourself and a special Pooch-ini treat for your dog. The dog run hours are the same as Madison Square Park (~6am-11pm)
Union Square Dog Run: Located between 14th and 17th streets near Union Square West. Not huge, but not tiny either, this dog run has benches to sit on, a few trees, and gravel.
- Neighborhood: Union Square
- Ground: Gravel
- Park Website: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/unionsquarepark/facilities/dogruns
- UnionDog Website:UnionDog Website
- Rules: Rules of the run
- Yelp Review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/union-square-dog-run-new-york
Stuyvesant Square Park Dog Run: Located near 15th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue
- Neighborhood: East Gramercy
- Ground: Pavement
- Yelp Review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/stuyvesant-park-dog-run-new-york
- Notes: This park is generally open only between the hours of 7am to 10am and 6pm to 11pm (Mon – Fri) and 7am to 11pm (Sat – Sun)